Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Chicksitting

Natalie's kindergarten class had an some chicken eggs in an incubator for about two weeks. Last week the chicks hatched and we were able to sign up to babysit for a night. When I picked up Natalie at school yesterday she was able to pick two chicks that she wanted to take home. Her teacher provided the box, food, water bowl and heat lamp along with instructions on how to care for them. I was a bit nervous about the chicks making it through the visit at our house, not so much because of the girls but the heat and water. The dish was to be placed two inches from the edge so they chicks could walk around without getting wet because a wet chick usually dies. I followed the instructions but those chicks had minds of their owns and kept getting in the water. I was also worried about them being too hot or too cold so I kept adjusting the lamp. This morning I had Eric go downstairs and check to make sure they were still alive. I am happy to report that we returned two very much alive chicks to school today! Our little chicks

Natalie was nervous about the chicks pooping on her Ella observing (she did hold them a few times but never long enough for me to get a picture before I had to get the chick back from her).

5 comments:

Tiffany W. said...

HA! Natalie's fear of poop is valid! I was on a school field trip with Connor to Ag-Magic and they had baby chics. As soon as they placed that chick in a kid's hand it pooped! And not a little. once the boy realized what it was he freaked and dropped it! haha. I got a good laugh out of it anyway. (the chick was unharmed). ;)

Chiara said...

haha - my boys are SO jealous! They would love to have a sleepover with some chicks! What lucky girls!

And of course Tiffany would laugh over a poor little sweet innocent chick....she'd kill a kitten if given the choice. Heartless I tell you!! It's a shame!

Amy said...

It's nice to catch up with you. What a cool cake and B-day Cameron had. Did you make that cake? SOOO cute! You look terrific btw.

Angela said...

Eric told me about your blog this morning! Your family is so adorable! Have Eric tell you about Sophie and the bathroom incident! It sure is nice to see Eric nad hopefully we'll get to see you soon too.

Wendy said...

If those chicks came to my house, they certainly would have been dead the next day. Remember our cat, it is a wonder she is still around. Addyson loves animals too much, she doesn't know how to leave them alone or be very gentle.