Thursday, January 7, 2010

Color Concerns

Eric has been spending almost every spare minute he has (which is not a lot) working on our master bedroom. It is looking great and we are now ready to pick a paint color. I am not good at this. I can walk into someones house and look and the wall and think "I like that" or "Hmmm, not my taste". What I can't do is walk into Home Depot where the hundreds of little squares are and pick a color that actually looks good when it is more than 2 inches big. So I am asking for help. If you have a color that you like and want to share it with me, leave a comment of the brand of paint and the name. It doesn't even have to be a color you used in your bedroom, just something that looks good on a wall. Thanks, and I am excited so see if I get any responses. At the very least I expect some witty remarks from my sisters.

6 comments:

plain jane said...

Witty remark? Oh, you got it. I think maybe a nice yellow - like Grandma's volvo. Or have a huge circa 1991 wall design, like the hallway in the house on Saltzman. Or, maybe if we are talking about designs, take Austin to Home Depot and ask them to come up with a paint that really brings out the dapple.

But in all seriousness, I vote for a deep hydrangea blue.

And if that doesn't work, you can always do wallpaper. Bwahahahaha.

love
joanna

The Meier family said...

Eggshell is always nice! I have seen a great yellow color somewhere before, not sure what the name is, but I bet Eric can get a bucket of it somewhere! ;) All kidding aside, I love the brown, tan tones with a blue accent - oh wait, that is Cam's room! Don't ask me! I have no idea how to pick colors, you have seen my house! good luck! :)

Rachel said...

I'm with Joanna- remember that huge "quilt" that Josh painted on our wall by the dinner table? Maybe something like that but in colors like pink and purple to really highlight the woman feeling of the house. Heh heh.

What about a sage green? Kind of like Joanna's room now?

Or if you "want to make some memories" have each of the kids paint something. Bwahahah. :)

Love you
Rachel

Chiara said...

Dude....I have no advice. I am EXACTLY the same way....which is why the majority of my house is still white. When you find a color you love...pass it along to ME! :)

Tiffany W. said...

We are currently trying to pick a color for our master bedroom too! I was too over whelmed with the main part of the house so we decided to start small with the master bedroom. The only room we have painted is Dallin's room. My neighbor came over to help me one day about 5 months ago and painted big patches on my walls of three different colors she had in her house. (Because i LOVE her house... it is amazing) but the colors don't really go with the things we have in our house. so I am back at square one with 8 different patch marks of 3 different colors on my front room, kitchen, and dining room walls! it is awesome! ;)

Amy said...

When I decided to paint our MBR I went into Home Depot and grabbed the cards that showed pictures of rooms. I fell in love with a room that had a light warm hue. It made me want to melt into bed and close my eyes while the sun shone through the window and warmed me. I then looked at my bed spread, accessories, and decor I compared those to the ones in the picture. I then chose to bring out a color from my bedspred that was warm. I took my pillow case into Home Depot and matched it to a swatch as best I could THEN I went like three to five shade lighter than the swatch. I've been really pleased with my rooom. I think it boiled down to how I want to feel in the room and what color reprents that feeling. Good Luck!