Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sisters

I am so happy that my girls have each other.
Natalie and Ella share a room. Avery currently shares with Eric and I. We have discussed what to do with bedroom arrangements when it is time for Avery to move out. Do we give Natalie her own room? Have Avery and Ella share? Have Avery and Cameron share? Keep the playroom? Get rid of the playroom? And on and on.
It seems that since Natalie is the oldest she should have her own room, but I think the big thing keeping me from this is that I love the idea of my girls going to sleep talking to each other. Tonight I was reminded of how much I love that. I was in the hallway doing what else, laundry, and I could hear the girls talking. First they were pretending to be the kids in the story that we had just read. Taking turns acting things out. I could tell they were out of bed, but I resisted going in and telling them to get back in bed. Then I heard them talk about people and happenings at school. Natalie got quiet and soon Ella says, "Natalie, are you awake?"
Natalie responds with a very groggy, "Hmmm."
Ella in a very awake voice, "Will you tell me a story."
"What kind of story?"
"A happy story."
Natalie starts with once upon a time and then her words become a bit slurred, as they do when you are fighting to stay awake. So Ella says, "Say it so I can understand you."
Natalie perks back up and finishes the story.
I smile to myself thinking how happy it makes me to overhear these happenings.
Last week the conversation was a bit different.
Natalie: "Hey Ella you know that guy Brandon I was talking about?"
Ella: "Yeah"
Natalie: "Well he really likes me. Everyone is saying he likes me."
I think there was more on Brandon but I must have blocked it out because 1) Natalie hadn't said anything to me about this and I was a bit hurt to realize she was already hiding things from me and 2) I thought I had more time before the nighttime conversations were about boys!
So for now I will keep them together and work on what room assignments don't involve splitting them up.

2 comments:

Chiara said...

Very cute!! I feel the same way about Mason and Madden. It's just too cute to hear them chatting away at night when they are SUPPOSED to be sleeping!

Rachel said...

Sniff sniff. That is so cute. Natalie is so sweet to Ella. :)
"Rachel do you know what the first three letters of Brandon's name is? -Ella
*me trying so hard not to laugh* Yup Ella. I do.