Friday, December 3, 2010

The Feast

Ella's kindergarten class held a fabulous feast before Thanksgiving. She was SO looking forward to this grand event. She would talk about it constantly. About the food that would be prepared. About the entertainment that was continually being refined. And about the decorations that would add to the ambiance. She also told me about the "top secret song". They weren't supposed to tell their parents about this one song because it was going to be a funny surprise. Only Ella couldn't keep this in because the top secret song was the famous "Squirly squirly" that my brother has made legendary from his preschool days. The kids were each asked to bring one item for the soup we would eat at the feast. Ella was assigned egg noodles. "Mom its not even hard to get those." True not hard. She came home from school that day to tell me about making the soup. Her job: cut broccoli. She told me she did a great job and then pointing her thumb at herself along with some jerky hip movements informed me, "If you ever need to chop broccoli I can do it for you. I am a good broccoli chopper".
~~~~~~~~~
Finally the day of the feast arrived. Eric was able to take a day off so we could go see this once in a life time event. The kids sang about 10 songs that were so so adorable. We sat at tiny tables with place mats and a candle that Ella had made. And then we ate the uh, wonderful? soup the class had made the day before. I am not sure Ella even took one bite of it before declaring it was gross and she wasn't going to eat it. I am not really sure how many of the kids did. None of the ones sitting at our tiny table that is for sure. It wasn't so bad because we had apple juice that I was rationing between every few bites. That is until Ella asked for my juice.
~~~~~~~~~
It was a great feast and even greater to see my Ella with the biggest grin on her face. We love this girl.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Aww I love that girl. :) So is she going to be your kitchen helper now? Heh heh.

Tiffany W. said...

Yay! I can actaully read the top of your blog posts now! I am not sure what you did... but on the old background, I could never see the title or first 2-3 sentences. I would have to wait for the next post to go back track and see what I missed the entry before! :)

Ella is a keeper. Such a cutie, that girl! We went to Eli's feast this year too, but we didn't get fed nasty soup. We ate donuts and crackers and cheese and tea sandwiches. Ya'll should have come to ours! ;)

Chiara said...

uhhhh - I love Ella and all...but all I could think about after reading this post....is....
GEEZ, Liz the freakin' supermodel!!

Elizabeth said...

Chiara you really have gotten funnier over the years. Best. Joke. Ever.