Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The First Child

Natalie in many ways tests me and teaches me. I often feel bad for all the "learning" and "trial and error" that I have to do with her. She is very skilled and figuring out what bothers her younger sister and brother and sees how far she can get with it. But every now and then she will do something really sweet for them.
Today she gave Ella the last half of her popsicle because Ella had chosen the cookie and after it was gone felt a little bummed that Natalie still had her treat.
She helped Cameron down off the counter and got him some milk since I was feeding Avery.
For the most part she can be trusted to hold Avery when there is something I have to see to (Cameron screaming from the bathroom "Mooooom, I'm DONE!!!").
On these occasions I think she really likes being the oldest one that can do more than the others, but there are also the times when I think she wishes she wasn't.
Like the time when she said, "Mom, when we have the next baby.." and I quickly interrupt,
"Oh there is no next baby."
"But Mom why not?"
"Because I think 4 is enough. When you are a mom if you want you can have 5 babies."
"No, I think I'll just have one."
"One? Don't you think they would be lonely?"
"I'll get them a dog."
or the time she said,
"I wish I was a baby. Everyone adores babies. I just want people to adore me!"
I love how Avery is holding on to Natalie's shirt. SOOOOO sweet.

No comments: